jmak

jmak

This Song Will Save Your Life
Leila Sales
Shadows (The Rephaim, #1)
Paula Weston
Tiger Lily - Jodi Lynn Anderson I kept passing over this book because I wasn't sure of the synopsis. A re-telling of Peter Pan? Narrated by Tinker Bell, from Tiger Lily's perspective, before Wendy came into the picture? Hm,…sounded interesting, but maybe sad. So I kept putting it off. Well, I am entirely glad I decided to finally pick this one up. It has such creativity in its re-inventiveness, and it certainly has touched my emotions in the deepest way.This story is not about the Peter Pan and Neverland you knew of. This story is much grittier. It is the tale of Tiger Lily, a native of Neverland, a character in the Peter Pan stories that you probably don't remember. Elements of the original stories are woven in expertly; yet all characters had such complexity and soulfulness, …even villains like Hook and Smee, in all their soullessness. The camaraderie of Peter Pan and the Lost Boys is so well-delivered that it makes you want to be a part of it. The loneliness yet quiet strength of Tiger Lily is to be admired; and I love the character Tik Tok, her shaman father, in all his crazy and tragic gloriousness.And while the ending may not be happily-ever-after, it is also not completely sad. It is both beautiful and heart-breaking in every way, such as life is. The inherent sense of loss you might feel about change and growing up, versus the sure constancy the past represents that you won't ever lose…it is all one and the same. What a very fitting way to portray the underlying theme of Peter Pan, the boy who never grew old.After I put this book down, I could not stop thinking about it. It is one of those stories that will probably stay with me for a long time.