jmak

jmak

This Song Will Save Your Life
Leila Sales
Shadows (The Rephaim, #1)
Paula Weston
The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey 4.5 starsI'm always so wary of post-apocalyptic stories because they are a dime a dozen and if you find something good, it's like a needle in a haystack. But, I have been on a kick lately. This one was really the needle. Addicting, and wonderful. The content isn't necessarily anything that different,...ok alien apocalypse, been there, done that. But I think what really shined was the delivery and the writing style. Cassie is a great narrator, full of personality and wry humor. Zombie, the Silencer, Nugget and Ringer… each character and their relationships with one another were something heartfelt, yet awkward at the same time. Relationships just cannot be what they used to be when the world you're in has gone to shit, aliens look like humans, everyone you love has died, and you don't know who to trust. This book is much more about humanity and its psyche, than about battling a bunch of ugly, drooly, one-eyed aliens. Although this book wasn't perfect, it was totally entertaining and I couldn't put it down. I expect this book to be quite a phenomenon, and probably will be sold for movie rights, if it hasn't been already.