jmak

jmak

This Song Will Save Your Life
Leila Sales
Shadows (The Rephaim, #1)
Paula Weston
Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas Re-read on 8/3/2013 :4.5 stars (promoted from 3.5 stars after re-reading and after reading the novellas)I rarely re-read books. But I decided to re-read Throne of Glass in preparation for the 2nd book that is coming out, Crown of Midnight. This time around, I enjoyed it just as much, if not more. The first time I read it, I was so eager to find out what was going to happen that I flew through it, and probably missed a bunch of details. I savored every moment of it this time.If I had to give an example of my favorite "type" of book, it would be this. It features a very strong heroine, who isn't without weaknesses. It takes place in a fantasy world, where magic has disappeared and the kingdom is ruled by a tyrant King of Ardalan who banned magic when he forcefully took over. Caelena Sardothian is our heroine, who is smart yet cocky, strong yet afraid, compassionate yet ruthless. Raised from a young age by Arobynn, the King of Assassins, she becomes the best and most notorious assassin in Ardalan. Her past and childhood is still a mystery, and probably will unfold slowly over the course of the series. And yes, there is romanceā€¦.slow and steady, secondary to the main story, and no insta-love (at least with the one that counts, I think.) The 4 novellas that take place pre-Throne of Glass are also a must-read! They give you a glimpse of her past life, and I feel they are almost critical to the plotline. I am a true fan of Sarah J. Maas' storytelling. Every novel/novella so far is well-paced and unputdownable. Love!Original review:I love female badasses! This is a solid fantasy with a strong heroine and intriguing story-line. Looking forward to more from this author and will definitely be waiting for the next in the series.